Tuesday, April 1, 2014

From one end to the other.

So, since my lost post (sorry I am the most inconsistent blogger of all time), I have started and finished geriatrics and started pediatrics. From one age spectrum to the other.

Brief summary of geriatrics as follows:
I did not have the "typical" geriatrics rotation as it got changed last second. It was actually more comparable to internal medicine, they just assigned me to all the elderly patients. I worked in the hospital setting on the internal medicine team seeing consults and post-op patients and managing their chronic medical problems while in the hospital. While I did see a couple cases of delirium, it was more healthy older adults who were there for elective hip replacements....However on some days I would get a stroke patient with underlying dementia, or have some caregiving issues, chronic wounds etc. All in all it was a pretty low key rotation hence the lack of blog posts. I was at Methodist Hospital and had another great experience there, just a wonderful hospital.

Although I will say one thing; their new healthy initiative to get people to eat better is a great idea, buttttttt kind of a debbie downer.  If I want to get a Kit-Kat dang it that should be possible. If you want a grilled cheese in the cafeteria, it will be more expensive than the baked salmon that will leave you smelling like cat food all day. Now that's just rude. Oh, and then they park the Ritter's frozen custard cart out front, is that healthy? Nope but it sure is delicious and needs to return more frequently.

I went back to Lexington for my geriatrics exam and Part 1 of our exit exam for graduation. Geriatrics exam was fine, but boy was that exit exam EXHAUSTING. Like, drenched in sweat exhausting. And margaritas with chips and queso were totally necessary afterwards. And a puff of albuterol to go along with that. We find out sometime this week if we passed, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed because my asthma can't handle another round of that torture. No, thank you PA school that was not nice.

Well, I have just started pediatrics and I was terrified. I honestly looked at kids like animals or aliens because I just have ZERO experience with them. I have a little precious angel niece but I see her for a couple hours at a time every couple months or so and that's about all the experience I have. After day one, I am in love. These little babies are just so innocent its hard not to find joy all throughout the day. Sure, my ears are ringing from all the screaming and crying but they are only sad for a second and there is NOTHING a Thomas the Train sticker can't fix.  Looking forward to all the days to come with these kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment