Monday, September 23, 2013

Long month ahead.

Oh boy this is going to be a long month. I'm one whole day into my psych rotation and already kind of shook up. The things I have heard today I won't be able to forget for awhile...these patients at the VA have been through, witnessed, dealt with so many terrible/unfortunate/life changing circumstances its honestly kind of amazing they can even get out of bed in the morning.

I am very moderate when it comes to politics and "hot topic" conversations and usually stay right in the middle on most issues and can see both sides. I have a feeling this rotation will make me change a lot of my own views on some of these hot topics. Seeing someone "in crisis" even making very general/vague threats about violence is scary. Seriously, it is scary. I needed my beta blocker like whoa because my heart started racing. I am such a non-confrontational person that it was hard for me to watch such anger and hatred....and also broke my heart. By the end of the session the patient was calm and reasonable and I was amazed at the transformation that took place in 50 minutes. The nurse practicioner I was with today is literally an angel in Danskos. The way she was able to methodically soothe this patient into having a reasonable conversation and push pause on the rage button was incredible. I am so thankful there are providers like her who can take care of these patients....I don't think I'm cut out to do it, but I know I'm about to learn a lot and see a whole new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment