Thursday, September 5, 2013

Nuts and Bolts

So after my first two rotations which focused on pelvic exams and surgical procedures, it was time to get back to the nuts and bolts of medicine....you guessed it....diabetes and heart disease. Would there even be medicine without diabetes and heart disease? Eh, yeah okay fine I'm sure there would be.

Anyways, Internal Med has a lot of diabetes and heart disease. It's not a bad thing, there are actually some patients who are very compliant, have great lab work, lose weight and live happily ever after. I wish I could say that was the majority, but sadly it isn't. Maybe they truly do not understand the risks they are taking with their health, maybe their insulin regimens are too confusing, maybe they don't have the proper supplies or equipment they need, maybe they cannot afford fresh produce or a gym membership, maybe they don't care....I think about all of these things when I see an A1c of 11. Honestly, it can be frustrating, challenging and exhausting. Even as a healthcare provider you can only do so much and that is not an easy pill to swallow.

My goal for this rotation is to be encouraging to these patients and to be their cheerleader. I know that after many years of experience all healthcare providers get a little bitter and a little worn out with non-compliance and I can't blame them. But I'm not there yet so I can still be upbeat and positive and help these patients realize that blood sugar checks and not eating milk shakes for breakfasts is the best dang thing in the entire world. Gooooooo Metformin!!!

1 comment:

  1. that just made me LOL. im not sure if it was because today was crazy long or what, but im still smiling and hearing you yell "GO METFORMIN" in a yippidy "bring it on" voice. awesome. thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete