Thursday, September 5, 2013

I Got 99 Problems But a Lortab Addiction Ain't One.

DO NOT GET HOOKED ON LORTAB. DO NOT START TAKING LORTAB, DO NOT LOOK AT LORTAB, DO NOT GO NEAR LORTAB, DO NOT SPELL THE WORD LORTAB BECAUSE YOU WILL GET PREGNANT AND DIE. (If you didn't catch that Mean Girls reference, I'm sorry...please go watch that movie.)

Lortab is not Ibuprofen, it is not Aspirin, it is not candy, it is a NARCOTIC. I'm sure you are probably thinking um duh everyone knows that...well, no they do not. It is not okay to take Lortab every time you stub your toe or have a cavity. Also breaking news, it is not okay to take your mom's Lortab which she gets prescribed via a pain management doctor for her severe back pain after a car wreck, IF IT IS NOT YOURS DO NOT TAKE IT. These are rules we learn in first grade and yet it seems to be very challenging. Gosh, I sound angry don't I? I'm really not I promise and I 100% agree that there is a time and a place for narcotics...just not after toe stubbing.

Kentucky laws regarding scheduled medications are crazy strict you guys. Indiana folks would go on a rampage if it were this difficult to get some "tabs." Watch out Hoosiers, if you don't start backing off the pain pills we might just roll out the red carpet for these strict laws and welcome them with open arms. I can really see how the strict prescribing laws of KY, which took effect in Oct. 2012, have made a difference for patients and providers alike. It makes everyone's lives more difficult and adds a lot of inconveniences, but it really cuts back on the prescriptions of controlled substances. You don't know how many times this week patients have "no showed" to their appointments because they knew their controlled substances wouldn't be filled, or they don't want to bother with all the 3 month follow up protocols because its not worth the inconvenience to take Ambien every day. To the people who TRULY need those medications, they come. The random urine drug screens sure do take some people by surprise, kind of a red flag when they refuse to do that huh? (I could go on and on about the pros and cons of these stipulations but I will spare you.)

Moral of the story is prescription drug addiction is not a joke, it is a real, troublesome problem that needs to be corrected. I think KY is off to a good start, and I have learned so much about these new laws the past couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment