Monday, October 28, 2013

Hi, Methodist. You are fab.

Sorry for the delay friends...I have been busy with this rotation, actually working 10 hour shifts instead of the 6-8 hours I have been working. I am so thankful I got this rotation approved at the last minute. I am on the hospitalist team at IU Health Methodist Hospital in downtown Indianapolis and LOVING it.

My preceptor right now is again, like my surgery rotation preceptor, someone I NEED. My first week went something like this.

Preceptor: So, the first week you are basically just going to shadow and get the hang of things right?
Me: Yep, sounds good but I have been doing H&P's on my own since July so I'm comfortable doing that whenever you need me to.
 Preceptor: (Day 2)- Okay so here are your patients for the day, look them up, do the consults, write the notes then I will sign off.

So....no shadowing then? Woo hoo!

Kind of stressful at first, but I am so grateful for preceptors who trust you and let you participate. It is so nice to not sit on the sidelines and actually be a part of the healthcare team. I have had other experiences where I wish I were utilized more and that was kind of frustrating. I am such a nervous person that preceptors who push me off the dock and force me to swim on my own are what I need to get a lot out of the rotation....and man am I getting a lot out of this one.

First of all, Methodist is in the top 1% of hospitals in the nation. It is such a great experience to see such a "well oiled machine" do its thing. The computer system for EMR here is so efficient and I have barely heard any complaints about it which is kind of unheard of. It is so user friendly I basically taught myself how to use it after a 10 minute tutorial. Second, this hospital is "team based" to the max. Every morning we have a "huddle" where EVERYONE involved in the patient's care meets very briefly just to touch base on how the patient is doing medically, when is discharge expected, what does PT think, do they need OT, where are they going when they leave, are there any barriers, do they need a PICC line before they go, what is the insurance approving etc.? Its so awesome how everyone works so well together. Third, and not to sound unprofessional, but all the patients are a mess....otherwise they wouldn't be there. Hello every problem possible with contradicting treatments for each one. I start looking through their history and chart and feel like I'm going to pass out because my head is spinning, but that is also what makes this rotation so interesting and motivating. I also get the "ICU pick ups" right when the patient leaves the ICU....so just barely not trying to die, right? Okay, yeah, sure no problem.....or something....

Side note, most of my patients are >85 which makes things even more complicated, but we all know about my almost pathological obsession with the elderly....I LOVE THEM TO PIECES. Yes, Mr. 90 year old, please hold my hand throughout your entire exam you precious man.

So, this rotation is awesome, I'm exhausted, my preceptor is great, Methodist is the bomb.com all of hospitals, and I'm living with my husband for the longest stretch of time yet since we got married in 2011. WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment