Monday, February 17, 2014

Hello Family Med!

Hello again friends,

Yes, once again I have been on a blogging hiatus. Sorryyyyy. I have been in Family Med for the last 6 weeks or so with a preceptor in Indy. He is a older man and we get along just fabulously. He is sarcastic and gives me grief all day which makes the days fun and interesting. He is an amazing teacher and a big advocate for preventive medicine.(Which, in my opinion, we will slowly see go down the tubes with government healthcare...less and less will be approved or be considered "not cost effective." Anyways, I won't go down that road, lets all just get along.) I spend two afternoons at an urgent care clinic in Zionsville which I love. My doc also has a PA who has worked with him for over 20 years who I also adore. The first month I was mainly with the doc but lately I have been splitting my time. The PA does half acute visits and half follow-ups which is more my cup of tea. I can only handle "Diabetes, lipids, BP" checks for so many hours a day before I start to black out.

What this rotation has taught me is that I NEED variety. I always thought I would specialize because I am so incredibly Type-A and feel the need to know everything about what I am doing so it can be perfect, but now I'm not so sure. I thrive off the urgent care visits and acute visits because you never know what you will see. I love doing small procedures and freezing things off, sewing things up etc. So, maybe a specialty isn't what is best for me....its exciting to see my likes and dislikes continually change throughout this year. Only problem is I should've had my elective and selective rotations picked out weeks ago...whoops. Hey you can't rush your career and I'm working on it. Hoping for sure to do one in Urgent Care and then maybe Derm? ER? GI? eek! The opportunities are endless. Bets on what my first job will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment