Sunday, May 4, 2014

Back to my old stomping grounds.

Is this my 2nd to last rotation? Stop it. That can't be real. Graduation is in 49 days you guys. Holy....

Anyways, I'm on my "Selective Rotation" which simply means I get to pick a rotation/specialty I have already done and repeat it. I chose to repeat Family Medicine, but with a twist. I have the same preceptor I had for 8 weeks back in the winter on one afternoon a week, but the other days I am with someone new, but at the same location. That sounded confusing, but it really isn't. What it means is that I didn't have to start all over and have familiar faces and places which puts my little anxiety ridden heart at ease. The last time I did Family Med, it was honestly more like Internal Med managing chronic diseases of an older population. This time, it is more "acute care" family med in a walk-in style. I love it. I love not knowing if a chief complaint of "shortness of breath" is simply a cough and asthma or someone who is in atrial flutter and needs a work-up to rule out PE as well....yes, that happened. I love not knowing what I am going to walk into...I need that variety to keep things interesting and exciting.

I am also with the world's coolest preceptor. He lets me be the DJ and play anything from Hootie and the Blowfish to Snoopp Dogg. He has a fake fireplace in his office and Christmas lights because he doesn't like overheard fluorescent lighting. Hello!?! Ladies everywhere have been trying to tell department stores this for years...fluorescent lighting is a bad deal. Finally someone who understands....

Stay tuned, its going to be a fun month!

Also, I registered for my board exam and no one was over here with champagne glasses and snacks, whats up with that guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment