Thursday, May 29, 2014

LP.

You guys, I did a lumbar puncture yesterday. By myself. Like, total freak out moment/one of my biggest accomplishments. Ever.

It's so funny how things come full circle. I remember assisting on my first LP when I worked in a neurology clinic before even applying to PA school. Now here I am, probably 4 years later, doing one myself. Feeling nostalgic.

To say I was a nervous wreck would be the understatement of the century. I had a feeling I would be doing one  (A patient was supposed to come back in to get re-tapped because she had bacteremia growing gram - rods and a HA x 10 days) so I fell asleep the night before watching YouTube videos over and over to try and ease my nerves...My preceptor and the doc on duty gave me a quick pep talk and refresher course and off I went. Don't worry, a doc was in the room in case I was a total disaster.

I am so thankful for my experience in neuro because I knew the steps, the landmarks, and the equipment, but still didn't know how it would feel to put a very large spinal needle into the spinal canal of a sick patient. When it was in the canal and I saw that clear fluid start dripping out I have never felt so relieved/proud/happy ever. I may or may not have gone into the bathroom and cried happy tears of joy. Such a good day. Oh, and the patient's fluid was clear of WBCs/RBCs and protein was back to normal so it was a good day for her too. Yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment