Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Kale is so hot right now...and other medical trends.

Kale is currently a very trendy food item, and my preceptor is allllll about it. It has become a running joke at the office and any kale related article, recipe, news story, event etc. is brought to his attention. He recently told me, "life begins and ends with kale." I think he was half kidding.

So we got to talking about other trendy health related topics people want to discuss or self-diagnose themselves with. (Disclaimer: Just because these things made my trendy list doesn't mean they aren't real problems people struggle with every day and need to be treated for.)  Shout out to WebMD for making this list happen ;)

1. TSH; "I'm tired and have dry skin, I need my thyroid checked." Yes, you might. You might also need to go to bed earlier and use some lotion.

2. "Low T;" Thanks to all the TV commercials about this the men are coming in groves to get their "low T checked out." Honey, just because the bedroom is a little less magical doesn't mean you need to start shooting up with some T.

3. Celiac disease; You guys, this a real disease with real lab and diagnostic tests needed to make the diagnosis. Just because you order gluten free pizza at your trendy upscale cafe doesn't mean you have celiac disease, it means you are choosing not to eat gluten.

4. Tylenol addiction; this one is my favorite. "I don't want to get addicted to Tylenol, I think I need that hydromorphooxydilaudicontin." UGHHHH. No. Stop, that isn't real and we can tell you are making that up.

5. Pancreatic related anything; Not sure where this one came from but it has happened twice this week...People calling concerned about pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis when those severe problems were nowhere NEAR being a consideration.

Geez, medical trends are so much less glamorous than crop tops and midi skirts.




No comments:

Post a Comment