Monday, July 1, 2013

1 Day Down.

I SURVIVED MY FIRST DAY.

It is hard to explain how nervous I was so the fact that I am still here breathing and functioning and didn't have a heart attack is a miracle in itself.

We have a professor who regularly describes things in an odd way...he doesn't just touch or feel or move body parts. He refers to it as tugging, yanking, etc....it can kind of make you cringe (but since it is said with a KY accent it also makes you laugh). Well, today I assisted in removing the uterus during a hysterectomy and that is what came to my mind..."I'm yanking out a uterus." That is so messed up.

Well, I  still don't know what to do with my hands and just kind of flailed around during the first case. The wonderful surgical tech just took my hands and placed them where I was allowed to touch because I was afraid to touch anything. I'm sure he thought I was ridiculous but I was incredibly thankful for his help, patience, and kindness. I improved as the day went on and even got to cut some sutures and do a couple pelvic exams. By the third case Mr. Surgical Tech didn't have to instruct me 7 times on putting my gloves on and he taught me a much cooler/easier way to do it. That man deserves an award for babysitting me all day.

So now I'm home waiting for my mom to get here who also had her first day today too! She started a new job at an Urgent Care and I hope it went well. I am so happy to be living back at home for the next 22 days, mom and dad are just the best and they have the best snacks here. Also, it is Bachelorette Monday so don't forget to tune in for the drama and man tears.  Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment