Friday, July 5, 2013

Whoa baby!

Okay, as much as I am enjoying Women's Health, it might be a good idea if I no longer witness C-sections or deliveries although there is no way that will happen. For the sake of ever having children myself, it just isn't a good idea. Ever heard the saying ignorance is bliss? Yeah, I don't need to know and see everything that happens while bringing a child into this world and then volunteer myself for that. No, thanks.

C-sections are wild. It's amazing how the patient is talking and gabbing away with her husband on one end of the table, meanwhile on the other side of that blue little curtain there is a whole lot going on that she definitely would not like to see.

Once that baby comes out though, it is just amazing. On the second case I wasn't scrubbed in and was just observing so I got to see the new mom and dad see their new little girl for the first time and I got all teared up. (Had to get it together real quick though because the whole OB team today was testy and stressed out and I did NOT need to be the sap in the corner crying over the miracle of life...even though that's what I wanted to be.)

Keeping with the theme of the blog...today, as usual, I did not know what to do with my hands. As I said the whole team was busy, post-call, and stressed and I did not have the precious angel surgical tech from Monday to hold my hand and babysit me. I sure did miss him. Princess Kaitlin needs someone to put her gloves and gown on for her, obviously. You think I'm slow now, have me maneuver all those sterile garments and it will be a half hour before I can hold an instrument or cut a suture. I definitely need to practice sterile technique...kind of difficult to put gloves on while your hands are inside the sleeves of your gown and you don't really have fingers to work with. On the first case a doctor who I haven't worked with before wanted me to try to be first assist and it literally felt like I did nothing right. I'm sure I will have many more days like today but they don't make you feel very good. Me=on the struggle bus. I finally felt useful when I was able to help the nursing staff clean and prep the OR suite for the next procedure, hey mopping floors is part of medicine too.

On a brighter note, those two C-sections lead to two beautiful, healthy baby girls and that was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment