Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Feels like home.

No, the OR does not feel home and probably never will. BUT, the hospital where I am working, Georgetown Community Hospital does feel like home. Where is home? I have moved around a lot in the past couple years, but my hometown, and the place that will always feel like home is Lawrenceburg, IN.

Growing up my dad had his surgery practice at Dearborn County Hospital. It is a small hospital and when things get too complicated or traumatic, the patients get sent to Cincinnati. This is how Georgetown is...and I honestly LOVE the small town feel. Don't get me wrong, Gtown is capable of quite a few surgical procedures (ortho, eye, general, ENT etc.), but they do not do any cardio or vascular, and all traumas get sent to UK.

When you walk into Gtown, there is always a friendly face to greet you at the welcome desk and ask what they can do to help you or where you need to go. As a student, I cannot overstate how much easier this makes your first day. I didn't wander down some sterile hallway and have to ask multiple nurses where the heck I was, little mister greeter just directed me to exactly where I needed to go. I was given a full tour of the hospital, told who to get scrubs from, where the locker rooms are, where to get scrub hats and shoe covers. The little things make such a difference.

I'm sure it sounds silly, but I just feel at home here. I feel like I'm in Dearborn County where everyone knows you and is happy to see ya. I look forward to going to work every day because I have been treated so kindly and since Gtown doesn't have many medical students, the staff get excited when students are around....much different experience than I had last month. Also, the communication is good. If I am supposed to follow someone else or go be with anesthesia they are told ahead of time so when I show up I don't get the "who are you and why are you here" looks.

So, thank you Georgetown for a nice couple days. Your kindness is greatly appreciated by this little PA student who doesn't know what to do with her hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment