Thursday, July 11, 2013

Wardrobe Malfunction

Okay, lets be serious...the medical field needs some fashion help. Luckily my girl Steph Smiy with her blog www.whitecoatwardrobe.com is trying to help us. Anyways, lately the only accessories I have been able to work with are scrub caps and masks with face shields. Not cute, folks. Hello this is my Women's Health rotation which I figured would be my only opportunity to wear fun outfits since I am with women all day. Boo.

So on Monday I was in the OR as usual and my scrub cap started falling down over my eyes. Since I am a hot mess in the OR anyways and never know what to do with my hands I just started making these ridiculous scrunching facial expressions to try to push it back up my forehead....didn't work. See you can't touch your face once you are scrubbed in because it isn't sterile. The circulating nurse noticed my ridiculous maneuver and came over and fixed me...another embarrassing moment in the OR, whatever keep em' coming.

Then the next case my mask had a face shield on it to keep bodily fluids from flying into my eyes...lovely I know. Well apparently I didn't pinch the nasal bridge area tight enough over my nose because the mask starts riding up over my eyes. Hot. Mess. Again, the nurse notices me fidgeting around with my face and being weird so she comes over and pulls my mask down, squeezes the nose part tighter, and re-ties it. Have I mentioned I need a babysitter in the OR? By the time I stop making a fool of myself it will be time to move on to the next rotation and these poor people will be left shaking their heads at how "special" I was.

On a less helpless note, I got to close up some laproscope incisions. Yeah, yeah I know they are practically invisible they are so small, but it was a small victory and those count too.

No comments:

Post a Comment